Mobile comms for commuters.
Hong Kong Telecom will become one of the first mobile operator to provide seamless 5G coverage along major MTR lines when its network is extended to more than 50 Mass Transit Railway stations by mid-October.
- Hong Kong commuters will be able to experience 5G services on the following six major MTR lines: The Island (Central to Tai Koo)
- Tsuen Wan (Central to Kwai Hing)
- Kwun Tong (Whampoa to Yau Tong)
- Tseung Kwan O (North Point to Yau Tong)
- East Rail (Mong Kok East to Lo Wu)
- Tuen Ma (Kai Tak to Ta Wai)
Susanna Hui, group managing director of HKT said, the telco deployed dedicated spectrum and equipment at these MTR stations for 5G services while maintaining 4G service levels.
“This deployment ensures an excellent mobile communications experience for both our 4G and 5G customers traveling on the MTR where mobile data traffic is consistently voluminous,” she said. “In addition, HKT plans to progressively extend its 5G network coverage to all MTR lines including the West Rail, Tung Chung, Airport Express, South Island, Disneyland Resort and High Speed Rail lines by the end of 2020.”